Yew Immigration Law Group, a P.C.
Call For An Appointment:

The H-1B is a nonimmigrant visa that allows the holder to work in the United States for three to six years. The visa is available for degreed workers in specialty occupations, certain Defense Department R&D workers and fashion models of distinguished ability.

In this blog post, we are discussing the H-1B visa for workers in specialty occupations. In order to qualify, the applicant must meet at least one of these criteria:

  • Holds a U.S. bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited educational institution which is required by the specialty occupation
  • Holds an equivalent foreign degree
  • Has all required licenses and permissions to practice the specialty occupation in the proposed state
  • Has a combination of education, experience or specialized training equivalent to such a degree, along with recognition of your expertise in the specialty occupation

In addition, the job you're applying for must qualify as a specialty occupation. This means that a bachelor's or higher degree is ordinarily the minimum entry requirement; the degree requirement is common across the industry; this specific employer normally requires the degree for this position; the particular position can only be performed by a person with the degree; or the nature of the work is so specialized and complex that performing it is usually associated with having the degree.

To get the visa, you must also have a specific job offer for a position in a specialty occupation, and your sponsoring employer must submit a Foreign Labor Certification and a Form I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker before you apply. Only 65,000 H-1B visas are issued each year.

Examples of specialty occupations qualifying for H-1B visas

Each H-1B specialty occupation visa application is considered individually. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services does not guarantee any specific job will qualify as an H-1B specialty occupation.

In its 2017 annual report on H-1B visas, however, the USCIS listed out the top occupational categories of those who received H-1B visas that year. By far, the most common occupational category for H-1B visas was "computer-related occupations." This category includes occupations like:

  • Computer programming
  • Software development
  • Computer systems analysis
  • Computer network architects
  • Database and systems administration
  • Quality assurance testing and analysis
  • Digital interface design

Examples of other common occupational categories include:

  • Architecture, engineering and surveying
  • Specialty administration
  • Education and research
  • Medicine and health
  • Mathematics and the physical sciences

If the job you are interested in isn't on this list, be aware that many other jobs have been approved as H-1B specialty occupations. Contact Yew Immigration Law Group for experienced help with this or any immigration issue.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Let Us Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us Today ยป

Firm Location:
1155 North First Street
Suite 210
San Jose, CA 95112

Phone: 408-389-4764
Fax: 408-709-2002
San Jose Law Office Map