Legal Guidance For Every Step Of Your Immigration Journey

Contact Us Today
Book a
Contact Us Today
Book a
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family-Based Green Cards
  4.  » 
  5. Family Preference Visa
  6.  » Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried Sons Or Daughters Of U.S. Citizens

View Our Practice Areas

Bringing In Unmarried Sons Or Daughters

What You Should Know About F1 Visas

The unmarried son or daughter of a U.S. citizen who is over the age of 21 does not qualify for the immediate relative category. However, the child will qualify under the family first preference (F1) category. If the petitioner wishes to petition for more than one adult son or daughter, separate petitions must be submitted for each son or daughter.

To qualify for this category, the adult son or daughter must have met the legal definition of “child” when he/she was younger than 21 under U.S. immigration law. The beneficiary must have an approved immigrant petition (I-130) and wait for a visa number to become available before applying to adjust status in the U.S. or to obtain an immigrant visa abroad at a U.S. Consulate.

If the child gets married while waiting for a visa number to become available, he/she will drop to the Family Third Preference visa category, where the wait time tends to be even longer.

Get In Touch Today

At Yew Immigration Law Firm, a P.C., we are here to help you with all of the necessary legal details. To arrange your initial consultation, please contact our law firm online or by telephone at 408-389-4764.