Legal Guidance For Every Step Of Your Immigration Journey

Contact Us Today

Book a

Contact Us Today
Book a
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Other Immigration Services
  4.  » Reentry Permits

View Our Practice Areas

Are You Seeking A Reentry Permit Into The U.S.?

Get Our Help To Obtain USCIS Reentry Permits

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reentry permit is a document issued to lawful permanent residents who wish to travel for over six months. The applicant must be in the United States when they file the application. After filing, the applicant can leave the U.S., and the reentry permit can be received abroad. The applicant may also wait for the reentry permit before leaving.

In some situations, a resident can request expedited services. The situations that qualify for expedition include:

  • Financial need
  • Emergencies
  • Humanitarian crises
  • Nonprofit status of advancing the cultural and social interests of the U.S.
  • A national interest situation that may prove detrimental to the government
  • An error made by the USCIS
  • Interest to the USCIS

Biometrics (Fingerprint And Photo) Required

Applicants must complete biometrics in the United States. Because this can cause difficulties if the applicant needs to leave the U.S. soon, the government issued new guidelines to expedite requests for biometrics appointments:

  • If someone needs their biometrics processing expedited, they can follow the instructions on Form I-131 to submit a prepaid express mailer, the completed reentry permit and the expedition request to the USCIS.
  • For expedited fingerprint appointments, also called application support center (ASC) appointments, an applicant can give their email address or fax number to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center. The center will then send the appointment expedition information.
  • If the applicant files the form but later realizes that they need an expedition, they can call the customer service number to discuss expediting their reentry petition.

Preliminary Caution

A lawful permanent resident who spends more than one year abroad may return to the U.S. with a valid reentry permit, and will not be considered as having abandoned his or her residence unless they have taken up residence in another country. When the resident applies for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen, he or she will be required to demonstrate that, during the one-plus year abroad, he or she maintained continuous U.S. residence.

Talk To An Attorney About Reentry Permits

Are you seeking a reentry permit to the U.S. for yourself or a relative? Our San Jose immigration lawyers are here to help. Contact us online or by telephone at 408-389-4764 to arrange your initial consultation.