“The United States recognizes the ongoing armed conflict in Cameroon, and we will provide temporary protection to those in need,” announced the secretary of Homeland Security on April 15. “Cameroonian nationals currently residing in the U.S. who cannot safely return due to the extreme violence perpetrated by government forces and armed separatists, and a rise in attacks led by Boko Haram, will be able to remain and work in the United States until conditions in their home country improve.”

What is happening is that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has designated Cameroon to receive Temporary Protected Status (TPS). Only those Cameroonians who were already in the U.S. as of April 14, 2022, are eligible – and they must apply for the status, which is in place for the next 18 months.

Those who qualify will be allowed to live and work in the United States as long as the TPS status remains in effect. TPS status is often renewed when the situation in the designated country remains too dangerous for people to return safely.

Qualifying for TPS

In order to qualify for TPS, you must:

  • Be a national of a designated TPS country or a person without nationality who habitually resided in a designated TPS country
  • Have been continuously present in the U.S. since the effective date (April 14 for Cameroon)
  • He been continuously residing in the U.S. since before your country’s specified date (April 14)
  • File a petition during the initial registration or re-registration period
  • Not have been convicted of a felony or any two misdemeanors in the U.S.
  • Not have been ruled inadmissible as an immigrant
  • Not be subject to any mandatory bars of asylum

In addition to filing Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status, you will need to submit evidence about your identity, nationality, date of entry into the United States and continuous residence here. You must also apply for an employment authorization document (EAD), if you want one. Documents that are not in English will need to be translated.

You will also need to maintain your TPS by re-registering periodically.

If you are interested in applying for TPS, contact Yew Immigration Law Group. We have years of experience helping people come to the U.S. to live and work.