Escaping from sex or labor trafficking is hard enough. Now your family could be in danger of retaliation by the traffickers. What can you do?

The U.S. government has set up a path for your relatives to come to the United States. You can sponsor some relatives regardless of your age. If you can show that your family members are in present danger because you escaped trafficking or because you cooperated with law enforcement, your family members can get T nonimmigrant status. This is also known as a “T visa.”

What is a T visa?

Your family can only get T visas if you get a T visa yourself. This is a humanitarian visa for people who have survived sex or labor trafficking and who have cooperated reasonably with law enforcement. It allows you to stay and work in the U.S. for four years and can often be renewed. After three years, you may be eligible for lawful permanent residence in the U.S. (a green card).

What family members are eligible?

Your family members can benefit from T visas, too. If they are in present danger of retaliation, you can apply for the following family members:

  • Your parents
  • Your unmarried siblings under 18 years of age
  • Their children, if they have been granted T visa status

If you are eligible for a T visa, you can also apply for some family members who are not in immediate danger. This depends on your age.

If you are under 21, you can apply for:

  • Your spouse
  • Your unmarried children under 21 years of age
  • Your parents
  • Your unmarried siblings under 18 years of age

If you are 21 or older, you can apply for:

  • Your spouse
  • Your unmarried children who are under 21 years of age

In all cases, your family members must be admissible to the U.S. In general, that means they have no serious criminal history and pose no security risk. If you have concerns about whether your relatives are admissible to the U.S., talk to an immigration law attorney.

To apply for T-visas for your relatives, you will file Form I-914, Supplement A, Application for Family Member of T-1 Recipient. You do not have to wait for your own T visa to be approved to apply. You can apply for yourself and your family members at the same time.

Contact Yew Immigration Law Group. We have years of experience helping people live and work in the United States.