If the time has come to renew your green card (permanent resident card), there is good news. Your renewed green card will last for two years (24 months) rather than just 12, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

When is it time to replace my green card?

There are many situations where a replacement could be required. Basically, if your green card has expired – or if it will expire in the next six months – you should apply for a replacement. Other situations include:

  • Your previous card has been lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed
  • You got your green card before age 14 and have now reached 14 (unless it will expire before your 16th birthday)
  • Your existing card is a version of the green card that is no longer valid
  • The information on your existing card is no longer correct, such as if you have changed your name
  • You never received a green card even though one was issued

How do I replace my green card?

You need to fill out Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, either online or by mail. Filing online allows you to check the status of your application.

It is possible you won’t receive your new green card before it expires. In that case, you can use your expired green card and the receipt for your Form I-90 as proof that you are still a lawful permanent resident of the United States. You are still authorized to work and travel.

The USCIS may require a biometrics appointment and will notify you if it does.

The USCIS may deny your application for a new green card. If it does, you have the right to appeal.

You should always carry your green card

Just a reminder: every lawful permanent resident aged 18 or older is expected to carry their green card at all times. Failure to carry your green card could result in a misdemeanor charge.

If you would like to replace your green card, contact Yew Immigration Law Group. We have years of experience helping people live and work in the U.S.